Amalfi Coast

We did a little tour of the Amalfi Coast a few days ago. Looking at the itinerary alone, I thought it looked a bit grueling, and I was pretty tired. I was, however, pleasantly proven wrong. The bus ride there was pleasant (and air conditioned, yay!) and our first stop was Positano. It was beautiful, gorgeous even. The water was pretty, the buildings on the cliffs stunning. But honestly, I hated it. It was too expensive, too crowded, and entirely too steep. For me, although I acknowledge I'm not exactly the peak of physical fitness, it was miserable to traverse. Thankfully, we were only there for about an hour, the perfect amount of time. Then we took a ferry to Amalfi, which I loved, as I love alternate forms of travel. (Boats, trains, etc.) Honestly, I think I just don't like cars. But Amalfi was stunning. The church with the remains of Saint Andrew was amazing, and the food...oh my god. I liked Amalfi because it felt like a more urban Sorrento, which meant it had more street food. I had a rolled up paper cone of fried squid, squid legs, and shrimp. They were salted, lemony, and so, so good. Almost a salt and vinegar flavor. A tour even walked past me and the guide said what I was eating was a very traditional Amalfi street food and had me show everyone, which was funny. I also had a lemon sorbetto that was very refreshing. After Amalfi, we took the bus again to Ravello, and saw the Roman villa restored by Wagner. The gardens were stunning, and in my opinion the views were much better than Positanos, but maybe I'm just bitter. I slept all the way home and ended the evening at a little bar with a limoncello spritz, a meat and cheese plate, and a good book.



Comments

  1. Sounds like a very Italian adventure to me -- some ups and some downs (literally!), good food and drink, a few quirky experiences, and a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pre-Departure

Pompeii